The scripture says something about itself that is pretty profound when you really think about it. You’ll find in Hebrews 4:12 these words:
“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
Stay with me on this…The Bible also tells believers to always be prepared. In 1 Peter 3:15 the Word of God says:
“But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.”
Now the clear context of this verse is to be in a place spiritually to be ready to speak about Jesus to those who need to hear him. That being said, we live in a time where we can be ready with tools to share our faith with us as well.
Now, with those two scriptures firmly in our minds let me say this: You and I have an incredible opportunity! We live in a time where it is easy to take the powerful Word of God to people who need it. We can do that by filling up our pockets and our purses with the Word of God.
3 Ways to Use Your Pocket or Purse to Share the Gospel:
- Fill a pocket or purse with a Gospel Resource.
- We can be ready to give an answer to those who need it by putting Biblical Gospel resources in our purses and pockets with the intention of sharing the gospel. There are resources in almost every hall and room in our church building.
- When you put it in your pocket or purse, pray.
- On an almost daily basis I put a small, pocket New Testament in my back pocket or in the briefcase I carry. When I pick it up to take with me I often say a prayer asking God to allow me to use it in my own life and in someone else’s life that day.
- Actively look for an opportunity to use it.
- When you take an invitation, tract, or even a New Testament and by faith carry that resource looking for someone to give it to, I believe that more often than not God will answer that prayer and give you opportunities.
Can you imagine what would happen in our church if every leader prayerfully, intentionally, and regularly emptied their purses and pockets with gospel resources to people who God put into their path?